2.28.2012

#37 - Find 10 Bible Verses That Mean Something to Me

Struggles.  We all have them.  It would be foolish of us to think that life is just this easy breezy full of colors and success thing that we go through.  It would be nice.  No worries.  No cares.  But if that is what life was, easy, then how would we ever know what we are capable of?

The other day I found myself under the covers thinking that I did not want to get out from underneath them.  It could be that I have the most comfortable bed in the world, but that day just felt different.  I didn't want to get up.  I didn't want to leave my little bubble.  I didn't want to have to deal with being strong.  I didn't want to deal with the struggles.  I didn't want to feel....anything.  I was broken.

As I laid there, I thought about all the different relationships that I had had in my life.  Parents, siblings, friends, boyfriends, etc.  Some of these people are such blessings in my life...others, well...let's just say I'm glad that they were only there for a fleeting moment in time.  In thinking of all those people, one person came to mind.  My grandfather.  I thought about all the cherished times I had with him and how I was blessed to see him right before his passing.  (It had been a long time since I had been home before that)

I remember him calling me the peanut gallery.  Or telling my sisters and I that that was a "NO PRESENT CHRISTMAS!  THE WELL WAS DRY!"  He use to ask me such challenging questions like, "How many pancakes does it take to shingle a dog house?"  Of course as a kid my thoughts were, why would you shingle a doghouse with pancakes?  I remember the love...the laughter...the good times.  It was in that thought process that I thought about the verse from his funeral.

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven.  A time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to keep them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.  He has made everything beautiful in its time.  I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live."
~Ecclesiastes 3:1-8, 11-12

There is a time.  For everything.  Such powerful words.  I had my time to be broken and then I realized that it was my time to be healed.  My time to face the struggles and know that I could overcome them.  My time to define who I was going to become.  Determined.  Determined to not let what others say or do to me get me down.  Determined to accomplish more of my goals.  Determined to be a better version of myself.

Even with all that determination that I felt that day, I knew life still wouldn't be the easy breezy full of colors and success that I wanted it to be.  So I thought of that verse that motivated me to get up and out of bed that day and decided to find 10 verses that were inspirational to me.  Here they are...and another day zero item down...life.is.good.

1) 1 Peter 5:10
"And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast."

2) Romans 5:3
"We rejoice in our suffering because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope."

3) Deuteronomy 31:6
"Be strong and courageous.  Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."

4) Psalm 46:10
"Hey says, 'Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.'"

5)  Proverbs 3:5-6
"Trust in the Lord with all your hear and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

6) 1 Corinthians 15:33
"Do not be mislead: Bad company corrupts good character."

7)  1 Samuel 16:7
"The Lord doesn't see things the way you see them.  People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."

8)  Romans 8:18
"I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us."

9) 1 Peter 3:14
"But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed.  'Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened.' Take courage."

10)  Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."


No comments:

Post a Comment